Saturday, February 12, 2011

Book 1, Disc 3

O.K., I'm up to the third disc of The Corrections. I'm starting to get the idea about the theme of corrections.

Disc 2 talked about a proposed drug called "Correct-All" (at least that's how I think it's spelled, and yes, there is some talk about how it sounds like a certain other drug) whose formula originated in a long-ago patented formulation by the patriarch character.

I'd guess I'm about a third of the way through Disc 3, and there's a flashback to when the two now-adult sons were younger, and there's a comment that their desire to throw their arms around their father's legs upon his return from a business trip had been "corrected out of them." Sad.

Now I'm slogging through what I hope is the tail end of the flashback, where the younger son was left at the dinner table all night because he refused to eat his dinner. There's this long crazy equation of the unappealing food with his life, and all I could think was, "Come on! The kid's in first grade!"

This story seems to be growing in sadness the more I wade into it.

Also, I can't wait to bring up the "spouses resent each other" topic with all the married/divorced members in the group.

That oughta be good for at least ten minutes of discussion.

No comments: